I was going to make a post about "full term breastfeeding", but I got distracted by the captions.
Youtube introduced a feature called auto-captioning that transcribes speech into text automatically on screen. (Click here to read more information). It's a noble idea. However, the speech recognition technology still needs a lot of work.
Take a look at the captions for this video. (To view the captions scroll over the CC emblem and click "Transcribe Audio" under the Caption Actions list.)
Interestingly enough, the video that Google uploaded about auto-captioning doesn't actually use auto-captions. Here's the video:
I'm interested to see how this will develop in the future. My only complaint is the slick way that Youtube has cut off third-party accessibility to their videos. This stops third-party subtitle overlay sites like Overstream from continuing to subtitle videos. (Read more about it here.) I haven't watched the whole Google video yet, but I want to sit and watch it tonight. So far I just have this thought about the video: I want that Google shirt.
For now I'll amuse myself some more with the current auto-caption tracks on the videos. The captions are often so wrong that I can't help but to laugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment